The Memorial Hall
The Hall was built in memory of those men who lost their lives in The Great War 1914-18.The site opposite the churchyard was donated by The Hon Blanche Britten and her son, Charles, later Brigadier Britten. In 1920 an indenture was signed which gave the land to the people of Wichenford . The money for the building came from public subscription and totalled £1,147. The building was finished in 1921.
The Memorial Hall was to be used by the parishioners for the purpose of supplying their social, moral and intellectual wants. It is run by a Management Committee.
In 1967 fund raising and grants allowed improvements to be made: the extension of the car park, the re-roofing and extension of the kitchen and the improvements of the toilet block and the drainage system.
Further changes were made in 1984 at a cost of £27,000, the main work carried being the replacement of the hall roof.
Since the Millennium grants have been given to allow refurbishment of the kitchen and the heating system.
A wide variety of activities take place in the Memorial Hall each week throughout the year. ( For details consult either the calendar or Useful Links )
Information mostly extracted from the Wichenford Millennium Book
Memorial Hall's Timeline