Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Washbourne Tombs

One of the glories of the St Laurence church are the Washbourne tombs. One originally lay within the altar rails and was moved at the 1863 Restoration to the west end of the church.

Commemorating John Washbourne who died in 1615, it would appear to also contain his wife, Alice, whose effigy lies next to his. But his widow re-married and moved to Pytchley, Leicestershire. She took with her a large black marble inscription that had been part of the memorial. It remains to this day in Pytchley church!

The magnificent double tomb within the chancel belongs to John Washbourne, and his two wifes, Mary Savage and Eleanor Lygon and, beneath him, his father Anthony.

The original inscription was cut short when the last renovation took place. In 1744 John Moulding recorded it as:

This monument was erected by John Washbourne Esquire in pious memory of his father Anthony Washbourne Esquire, as also of himself and his two wives. The 1st Mary daughter of Francis Savage of Elmley Castle Esq: the 2nd Eleanor, the daughter of Richard Lygon of Madresfield Esq, descended from one of the co-heiresses of the Lord Beauchamp of Powick, the said John Washbourne being at the time of this inscription of the age 84 years: within which time he has been 60 years in the Commission of the Peace and twice High Sheriff of this County and Deputy Lieutenant to 4 Lords Presidents of the Principality of Wales & Marches of the same, the Lord Eure, the Lord Gerard, William Earl of Northampton and John, Earl of Bridgwater, now living anno domini 1632.

Washbourne Tombs